Djurgården in English! [only English in this thread!]

Här diskuteras allt om Djurgården Hockey.
Skriv svar
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Re: Visiting Sweden

Inlägg av Prelude »

DIF_Soldier skrev:If you think the NHL have a shortage of fights... It's nothing compared to SHL.
Our referees are what you would call party poopers - if you fight you get a match penalty or maybe even game misconduct. Hell, sometimes you even get suspended 2-3 games for the littlest thing.

This season Djurgården team captain Jimmie Ölvestad got suspended for two games all cuz he threw his stick into the sideboards.

Watch the whole thing that lead to the disastrous and stupid suspention here. (about 2.26 into the clip)
Oohh, that sucks. I suppose better make those fights and suspensions worth it. NHL are party poopers too, can't hardly argue with the other team without get refs in their faces. NHL gives fighting penalty, maybe instigator, misconduct depending on the fight. Although, I have to say the suspension is something different. Awefully touchy for throwing a stick. I can see a mad ref saying it's unsportsman-like, but 2 games is bad. I've seen some teams do something similar, goalies breaking their sticks and smashing player sticks in their bench, but the refs never did anything about it.
Bild
"He just used me like pony. He was on top of me. I don't like being the pony. I want to be on top." - Datsyuk
Användarvisningsbild
DIF_Soldier
Medlem: Ja, vanlig medlem

Inlägg av DIF_Soldier »

Prelude skrev:
DIF_Soldier skrev:If you think the NHL have a shortage of fights... It's nothing compared to SHL.
Our referees are what you would call party poopers - if you fight you get a match penalty or maybe even game misconduct. Hell, sometimes you even get suspended 2-3 games for the littlest thing.

This season Djurgården team captain Jimmie Ölvestad got suspended for two games all cuz he threw his stick into the sideboards.

Watch the whole thing that lead to the disastrous and stupid suspention here. (about 2.26 into the clip)
Oohh, that sucks. I suppose better make those fights and suspensions worth it. NHL are party poopers too, can't hardly argue with the other team without get refs in their faces. NHL gives fighting penalty, maybe instigator, misconduct depending on the fight. Although, I have to say the suspension is something different. Awefully touchy for throwing a stick. I can see a mad ref saying it's unsportsman-like, but 2 games is bad. I've seen some teams do something similar, goalies breaking their sticks and smashing player sticks in their bench, but the refs never did anything about it.
Yeah, and as you can see in this clip the other caveman-like guy is the one giving Holmqvist a cheap shot in the first place, Jimmie only tries to show him our team doesn't tolerate that sort of thing.

Jimmie got suspended for throwing a stick, the other guy who had just punched another player in the face played the next game, with no further ramifications.

Fucked up, if you ask me. You shoulda seen us fans, we weren't happy I'll tell you that...

But as it showed, crime doesn't pay. Ölvestads fight gave the team a boost and only four minutes after that we tied the game, and the team kept going and after 60 minutes the scoreboard showed 5-1 to Djurgården.
Säg den glädje som varar
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Inlägg av Prelude »

DIF_Soldier skrev:Yeah, and as you can see in this clip the other caveman-like guy is the one giving Holmqvist a cheap shot in the first place, Jimmie only tries to show him our team doesn't tolerate that sort of thing.

Jimmie got suspended for throwing a stick, the other guy who had just punched another player in the face played the next game, with no further ramifications.

Fucked up, if you ask me. You shoulda seen us fans, we weren't happy I'll tell you that...

But as it showed, crime doesn't pay. Ölvestads fight gave the team a boost and only four minutes after that we tied the game, and the team kept going and after 60 minutes the scoreboard showed 5-1 to Djurgården.
I hate those cheap shots, I'd be furious too. I think Ölvestad was warranted in his reaction. Cheap shots like that happen all the time to the Wings and it's hard not to get mad, but they don't always respond, more often than not they don't do anything about it. Used to, with McCarty, but there isn't anyone really like that anymore. I always feel they should be standing up for each other, especially when punches are actually thrown instead of a shoving match. You can see that there are certain players that seem to have a "big brother" watching them. But I suppose they rather not run one man short, especially in playoffs. Sometimes it's just the point of it though.
Bild
"He just used me like pony. He was on top of me. I don't like being the pony. I want to be on top." - Datsyuk
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Inlägg av Prelude »

The trip is getting close. I now know when the Djurgarden tickets go on sale from contacting the team.

How much are gas/petrol prices on average around Stockholm? This seems to be something I am getting worried about lately.
Bild
Användarvisningsbild
mannge
Medlem: Ja, ständig medlem
Säsongskort: Ja
Kontakt:

Inlägg av mannge »

Well... You cant expect the same low prices as in the states.

Yesterday it was around 12,50 kr/liter = 1,59 $ / liter.

I'm not sure if i did the math correctly from kr/liter to dollar/gallon.

But my result was 5,98 $ / Gallon here in Sweden. (we are thinking about the environment you know :))

So it's roughly around 3 times higher then in US.

Have a nice trip!
Blue Brigade A11
Användarvisningsbild
Blå Helgonet
Medlem: Ja, ständig medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Blå Helgonet »

:shock: People who come to a new country at an adult age, when language learning is a cumbersome process, can have particular difficulty "overcoming the language barrier".
Similar difficulties occur at multinational meetings, where translation services can be costly, hard to obtain, and prone to error.

An embarrassing example; When engaged in employment issues concerning salary it's quite common that the Union takes some minor part of the pre-negotiations.

Union in Swedish is called "Facket" and believe it or not it's actually pronounced; FUCK IT! :lol:
Blue Saints...
Madferit

Inlägg av Madferit »

I would like to recomend you and the old fella to visit a place ci always take fridens from out of state to. Just ask a cabbie to drive you to "Fjällgatan" and you will have the most amazing view over stockholm. I tell you its unbeatable. Its like 10 min cab drive from globen ( i suppose you are staying at the globe hotel?) and it costs like 12 bucks if you go in the afternoon.
Användarvisningsbild
DIFmanglarn

Inlägg av DIFmanglarn »

The cheapest and easiest way to get around in Stockholm is by far by using public transportation, for example the subway (tunnelbana) or buses, they get you everywhere for a small amount of money. Its a bit more difficult with cars since there are so many of them and parking spaces are pretty expensive and hard to find. I think the parking fee at Globen parking is at 100 kr so its a lot more easier and less expensive to take the tube when shopping and attending the game. For more information about public transportation in Stockholm you can visit www.sl.se.

When it comes to tickets for the games its a bit tricky when it comes to matches against Brynäs (who we will play on the 3rd). They have a lot of support everywhere in Sweden and ofcourse in Stockholm since a lot of peasants tend to move here from their little villages. Hence the games against Brynäs tend to sell out or at least go near sell out so if you want good seats, you should order them iwell in advance. Turning up at the day of the game and hope to get ticktes could end up in disaster, if you've travelled all the way from the States Im pretty sure you dont want the worst seats in the house or for worse, even missing out on the game!

Brynäs is a classic Swedish team and DIF-Brynäs is a classic game at Hovet. Like I said before, they have a lot of fans all over Sweden, but their following is often referred to as the least interesting in Sweden. You see, these people don't like atmosphere at the games. They mostly sit around and occasionaly chant the standard songs (Brynäs! clap-clap-clap). However, the games tend to be very intense and fun to watch.

Fighting in the terraces acctually do occur sometimes but its very rare and its not very likley to happen against Brynäs at Hovet. More likely they will happen against teams like Linköping and Rögle since they have pathetic wannabe-hooligan fans. DIF has one of Swedens top firms, the notorious DFG, but they usually don't start fights inside the arenas since "innocent" people are more likley to get hurt. If they want to kick ass, they set appointments with rival firms at some remote place where they can fight in peace :)

Hope your stay in Stockholm will be great and that we will win against Brynäs!
Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Inlägg av Prelude »

Fjällgatan... I'm sure I'd chop that one up.

We will have a car, mostly for getting from the airport to the hotel and back. It's not the Globe hotel. I think when we checked it was either very expensive or sold out, I can't remember at this point. I believe it's Connect hotel, or something of the sort. Didn't exactly go for fancy, just the regular make it over the ocean.

Had planned to try and make it to Vasteras, given that we had come because of the Red Wings, and Lidstrom is one of our favorite players. But now knowing the price of fuel it is questionable if we will make the trek.

Definitely looked into SL cards, before we knew of the fuel prices it was from what we had read about parking in Stockholm, so it only solidified what we were thinking.

At this point we reserved some tickets that we are to pick up at a shop near the arena, I don't know where we'll be sitting but at this point it is just the point of going and experiencing. I really wanted to see everyone in action, including the fans... well, mostly the fans. Most everyone is into it when we see the Wings, unless the game is going against them, but I would like to see the enthusiasm from people when it's one of the main sports of the country. Perhaps so I don't feel so odd from how I feel about it :lol:

I have to say the only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is that first awkward moment when coming in contact with people if they try to speak to me in swedish. I know they'll speak english, but it's just overcoming the first moment.

Oh.. an odd question. If I wore a russian jersey, would the fans feel animosity toward me? I don't really know what to think since I'd be going right to the 2nd game. It's the only thing that makes me wonder if I should wear the jersey to the 1st game.

And does anyone know of a store that sells hockey cards, or just sports cards in general. Sort of a hobby.
Bild
xxwinniehxx

Inlägg av xxwinniehxx »

Russian jersey? No problems, of course. You can buy hockey cards at Djurgården hockey store in Globen Shopping..I think. Enjoy the games!

Hata brynäs
Honken

Inlägg av Honken »

Prelude, if you look in here again so it would be nice to hear what you thought of Sweden/Stockholm and the hockey game you watched.
Jag har svårt för Djurgårdens jävla klocka (måljingeln ”klockan slår, klockan slår...”), den har satt sig i mitt huvud och ekar fortfarande.
Fredrik Söderström, Tränare Oskarshamn
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Inlägg av Prelude »

Hehe, well, I loved it to say the least. Although, the first day was particularly difficult with the time change. I barely slept on the plane ride and found myself nearly falling asleep on the train when we were checking everything out. We had reservations for the Ice Bar so I had to stay awake and we had to take the train.

I had a lot of fun, but after the first day and getting my sleep it was even better. We ended up driving everywhere else so it was a lot better being able to see everything. The buildings, the atmosphere, even the roadways were nice. When I got back home it didn't feel right driving on the highways with the empty fields and little buildings... and no water.

We pretty much kept to ourselves except for buying things. But we were approached a couple times on the street by random Americans also there for Red Wings. The cashier people were kind of funny because they apparently didn't realize we weren't Swedish until they asked us if we wanted the receipt or a bag and made a confused face when we couldn't respond. A couple times when people were walking by we would hear "more Americans" and didn't know if it was a good or bad comment, or if they were Swedish for that matter.

I didn't expect McDonald's to be as packed as it was. Americans are always under the assumption that the rest of the world is much more "healthy". But I figure they just exercise more, at this point. I had read restaurants had bad service, but I really didn't think they were as bad as we had breifly experienced. We had gone to Hard Rock Cafe and waited to be seated for quite awhile, and then our orders, and drinks, and the check took forever :lol: We practically couldn't leave since they never wanted to give us the check. We tried one more time at Pizza Hut to see if it was different from here, but the woman never came to take our order so we just left. After that it was grocery and gas station food. Although, I have to say, it was much better.

It was nice just to explore and see the areas and the neighorhoods. I would have loved to see what it was like in a house or apartment. Everyone seems to take advantage of what space they have very efficiently. I thought it was funny when there was a horse barn practically in a neighborhood. It would be nice to have that in America.

The driving was good, the roads weren't very difficult. I remember moments of confusion when there were street lights that were red but the green light never came on. I just assumed discretion. And only a couple times when we got stuck momentarily in a tunnel because.. I think people couldn't merge properly. But some people speed like crazy. I think typically going 20 kmh over. It was weird when we saw chevy or dodge; quite out of place. It was almost like a test to see how many we could find. Strangely we did see one car with a California license plate.

Ahhh the hockey. I waited a long time for that Djurgården game and loved every bit of it. I like to watch them pratice and was captivated by their abilities. The way they pass and move with each other, no one seems to miss a beat. Like a freakin dance, it was beautiful. The standing section where everyone chants and cheers gave me goosebumps. I wish NHL fans were as organized. But, I didn't know it could end in a tie. I was hoping they would come out with the win.

However, the Wings games were disheartening. Lately they've had the tendency to come out strong, pull ahead, but lose the lead. I remember last season ending that way. I liked the Globe but those stairs killed me since I was in section C. We couldn't sit still, but there was nothing on the level, so we had to go back down. I thought the Hovet was much more homey though. Reminded me of the Sports Arena we had for our AAA hockey team a few years ago, much more intimate with team and fans.And what's with the house on the Globe? :lol: I can only think that it's the position of Sweden on earth.

With the impression I have now I would love to live there. It seems right and appropriate. I miss it in fact. I miss the people, and the buildings. Everything seems so empty here, it's like you're alone. Everyone is so far from each other, and antisocial. Granted I'm not quite a social person, but seeing Sweden like that seems to give one hope for humanity in people. Then I come back to America and it gets killed again :roll: I envy everyone's ability to live quite humble, and given the opportunity I would like to live that way also. Sweden is a beautiful balance between nature, culture, and architecture.
Bild
lilleman

Inlägg av lilleman »

I have never been to a NHL game(except the ones in Stockholm) and I just have to ask you...
What is the atmosphere like during the games?

I hope you are still reading here...

Onödigt att citera ett sådant långt inlägg när det ändå är posten över. // Mod
Lycka är, trots allt, att vara Djurgårdare.
Användarvisningsbild
Prelude

Inlägg av Prelude »

It's been a long time since I was on here. It's difficult for me to read anything, everything must be translated :lol:

Honestly, the atmosphere isn't that great. Only if it's the Stanley Cup is it incredible, deafening. At least for the Red Wings. The only other arena I've been to is the Hurricanes. And... it isn't like they don't get excited or cheer, or start chants, but when things aren't going their way for their team it seems like they sort of, give up.

One of the things that always annoys me is that they love the team when they are winning or doing good, and if they start to slip they turn their back on them and bad mouth them.

Actually we were at a game and a "fan" in our section was screaming that Osgood needed to go back down or be traded and things like that. It wasn't like he was doing bad, people just... have no respect. In the end he was making amazing saves, but then the person will turn around and say they knew all along. I can't stand it.

I was surprised when I read on here, somewhere, that people were saying American players are the best (or was it NHL?), and I can see why they might say that. I suppose the money is the top of the line. But I stand by how I feel; I saw Djurgården and they were far more organized, far more aware of their surroundings. All the players that are note worthy are not American, I suppose the closest is Crosby, and he's Canadian. That doesn't count to me.

I got side tracked... I can only think that it depends on where you sit. Sitting closer to the glass you find the "richer" people, who seem to be there only to socialize and pay hardly any mind to the game itself. Find the season ticket holders and... they are more aware, but aren't crazy about it. Crazy to be clad head to toe with merchandise, but not stand the entire game jumping up and down screaming all the time crazy. Actually, there is no one like that.

It gave me goosebumps to see Djurgården chanting so loud and had their arms on everyone's shoulders. Although I couldn't understand what was being said. It is something I wish we had here.

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I figured no one would say anything else. :)
Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Crashmash

Re: Djurgården in English! [only English in this thread!]

Inlägg av Crashmash »

I changed the name on the thread, may be useful to have a thread in English here.
Skriv svar